The Luitpold tower is an observation tower on the 610 m high Weißenberg near Hermersbergerhof near Merzalben. It is freely accessible all year round and with its viewing platform just under 30 m above the ground it offers a very good view over the county of Southwest Palatinate and into Alsace.
- Season: May, October; very good even with ice and snow
- Time of day: 06:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. to the east (on the tower platform all-round view) – Sunrise also with Trifels Castle, in the evening to the west, sunset over the Gräfensteinerland with fantastic mountain ranges
- Weather: Sun-cloud-mix
- Lenses: 24-70 mm, 70-200 mm, 20 mm or 16 mm perspective
- Filter: Polarizing filter and gray gradient soft GND 8, GND 16 to darken the sky and to set contrast in the clouds
- Tripod: Yes
- Location: Platform approx. 30 m from the Luitpold Tower, there many steps up to the platform. You will be rewarded with an incredible view in all directions.
Directions and location:
The easiest way is to take the B10 from Pirmasens, about 2 km after the Schuhmeile exit at Hauenstein, and turn right to the Hermersbergerhof. A romantic mountain route begins, which leads you about 10 km through the Palatinate Forest, steeply uphill in places.
At the Hermersbergerhof, turn left in the middle of the village towards Johanniskreuz. After approx. 2 km you will see the hiking car park for the Luitpold Tower on the left. From there it is another 200 m on foot.
Coordinates: 49.25281, 7.82555